Ever wonder how some photographers get those outstanding shots of breathtaking night skies or beautiful landscapes? Often times, the key element in capturing these shots, is a simple tripod. Tripods are a fantastic tool to help you add so much creativity to your photos! Learn more about the techniques and exposures you can do to stabilize your shots.
Soft waterfalls, smooth oceans and dazzling skies are all creations of long exposure photography! These looks are achieved by opening the shutter for an extended period to capture as much movement as possible. This allows the photographer to play with the blur of motion. While this can create some outstanding photos, the one thing you need to worry about is camera shake. With the shutter being open for longer than 1/60th of a second (on your average lens), any movement from holding the camera will cause the whole image to blur. This is where tripods come in! Stabilizing your camera allows the photographer to have a sharp background, while capturing the subject in motion and generating a blur!
Painting With Light
Light painting is one of the most creative art forms of photography. Allowing you to use flashlights, lasers and other lighting sources as a paintbrush within your image. A key part of this activity is finding a dark area to capture this light and using long exposures in the range of 5 seconds or longer. By using a long exposure, the photographer can then move the light in front of their camera while the shutter is still open, painting creatively. When shooting at long exposures without a tripod, the camera would shake and the full image would be blurry.
Telephoto Lens Stabilization
Stabilizing your camera is the main function of a tripod and this piece of equipment is key for any photographer to have! The use of telephoto lenses, is one example where tripods are critical! These lenses can be used for anything from wildlife to sports photography. Telephoto lenses are typically large and heavy and result in significant camera shake while handling them.
Night or astral photography is the work of capturing the sky and the photographer must always keep the darkness around them in mind. This is another area of photography where a long exposure comes into play and shutter speeds can range from 10 seconds to minutes or even hours! Extending your shutter speed, allows you to capture the small bits of light in the night sky. Stabilizing your camera on a tripod is absolutely essential to ensure that the image comes out clear. The slower the shutter speed, the more dependent you are on a tripod.
Manfrotto | The Tripod Brand We Love And Trust
190go! Alu kit 4 section with XPRO Ball head RC2
- Great for creative photography and different angles
- Professional aluminium tripod kit with ball head
- Fast operating M-lock mechanism
- Shoot from all angles with a 90° rotating camera tripod
- Easy link makes connecting camera tripod accessories simple
- XPRO ball head for faster composition and shooting
- Key item for any traveler! Light, flexible and easy to use!
- Flexible tripod secures mirrorless cameras anywhere
- Strong: Holds devices weighing up to 3 kg (6.6 lbs.)
- Rubberized ring and foot grips for stability in terrain
- Durable medical-grade ABS plastic and TPE for secure joints
- Works with pro-level accessories like GripTight PRO Mount
Befree Advanced Aluminum Travel Tripod twist red, ball head
- Great to advance your skills with and easily compatible for any traveler!
- Advanced Travel Tripod kit
- New M-lock system allows fast and secure operation
- Center Ball Head with three independent ergonomic controls
- Side pull selector ensures quick setup with both hands
- Unique premium design, 100% Made in Italy