LENS Program | Partial Overnight
AGE: 15 (by the start of the program) – 17 Years Old
TIME: 9am – 3pm (Mon & Fri) + Overnight (Tues to Thurs)
PREREQUISITES: Teen Camp 1 or equivalent.
REQUIRED: Mandatory ability to swim. Any camera with manual mode + 2 camera batteries.
LOCATION: 25 Toronto St. (Yonge & Adelaide) + Algonquin Provincial Park (partial overnight)
Leadership Experience for Next Steps (LENS)
1 Week Program (Including: 3 days in Algonquin Park)
Join us on an unforgettable, partial overnight experience to Algonquin Park, where we will explore and photograph the wonders of nature! This program is specifically designed for youth looking to build on their leadership skills and acts as a stepping stone for those interested in learning more about what it takes to become a camp counsellor or instructor in an overnight camp setting. Students will explore how photography can be used as a leadership tool and discuss the important role that photographers play in creating positive change within our own communities!
- Camping Experience is Recommended
- Mandatory Swimming Ability Required
- 5 Days of Leadership Training
- LENS Program Certificate upon completion
- Camping Accommodations
- Sleeping Bags & All Required Camping Gear
- All Meals & Snacks in Algonquin Park
- Transportation | Departure & Return | To and From 25 Toronto St.
- Please Refer To FAQ’s for Details
LENS PROGRAM will be exploring topics and gaining experience in the following areas:
- Human impact
- Climate change
- Reviewing famous examples for inspiration for an independent project that you’ll work on while at Algonquin!
- Team building exercises around camp unique to that program (i.e. exploring camp counsellor scenarios and stories)
- Leadership experiences by leading activities among our Algonquin Adventure students!
If you’ve joined us for LENS in prior years, expand on your leadership skills by joining us in our LENS Level 2 Program.
LENS Level 1 (Year 1) includes:
- Introduction to leadership topics in an overnight setting
- Setting individual goals to gain practical leadership experience
- Planning and leading large group games alongside the leadership instructor
- Daily debriefing about observation experiences
- Certificate upon completion
LENS Level 2 (Year 2+) includes:
- Build on the skills you learned in Level 1
- Debrief on topics including conflict resolution, safety and behaviour management
- Deliver a large group team building activity
- Participate in daily leadership reflections with the leadership instructor
- A final report will be provided based on performance
- Certificate upon completion
Meet Your Guides
Jake Borchenko, Leadership Instructor
Jake Borchenko, is one of our senior camp instructors, for Teen Camp 1. His portfolio showcases his passion for travel, documentary, and street photography, as he has travelled around the world, shooting documentaries in India, China and Nepal. Jake is a Broadcasting and Film graduate of Centennial College and has led youth trips across Ontario as a mentor with Skatelife Canada. His positive energy and zest for life has encouraged hundreds of our students, to reach new heights!
About Our Wilderness Guides
GTA Photography Classes has partnered with wilderness experts from Overhang Adventures, to provide a safe and incredible experience in Ontario’s most beautiful park. Their guides are trained professionals, certified in: Wilderness First Aid, NLS (Lifeguard), CPR, Canoe Tripping, Wilderness Survival, among many other credentials to ensure the utmost safety of our group.
Algonquin Provincial Park
Whitefish Lake Campground
An Unforgettable Experience
“I thought the trip was great and I would do it again!”
“Best camp I have done here! So much fun and a great experience!”
|MONDAY||Mandatory First Day
Mandatory first day for all participants. Review Citizen Science Projects, camera equipment and review what to expect!
|TUESDAY||Depart from our studio at 25 Toronto Street first thing in the morning! When we arrive, we’ll set up in our camp site, and then we’ll grab our cameras and hit the trails to explore some of Algonquin’s most beautiful sites! In the afternoon, we’ll settle down by the campfire and assist our adventure group with some night-sky photography!|
|WEDNESDAY||Enjoy a full day exploring and photographing nature and biodiversity in the park. Participate in and help lead fun activities around camp! Enjoy your last night cooking and hanging out by the campfire!|
|THURSDAY||Enjoy your morning with some fun outdoor activities before departing for Toronto. Drop-off at our studio (25 Toronto Street) mid-afternoon.|
|FRIDAY||Meet at 25 Toronto Street for 9am to review your images! Student work will be showcased at our end of week exhibit!|
Upon booking a $500 Non-Refundable deposit is due to reserve the spot. If you would like this unique opportunity to join GTA Photography and other fellow teens up north for a 3 day adventure program, please fill out this form below as soon as possible.
Space Is Limited | Secure Your Spot Before The Rush | Program is limited to 15 participants
Register by filling out the form below.
$500 Non Refundable Deposit is required upon booking. The Balance is Due on April 30, 2020
After April 30, 2020 full payment is required to reserve booking.