Sparking your creativity and providing you with the tools and knowledge on how to take great photos couldn’t be done without our incredible instructors. We caught up with Maya Sherwood, one of our instructors with a passion for portraiture and fashion photography. Her portfolio showcases her experience in fashion with gorgeous photos with a clean and feminine style. Originally from the East Coast, Maya has worked with a number of brands and designers to create a stunning portfolio.
Our students love her and we couldn’t wait to ask her a few questions about how she started and what made her passion for photography thrive.
When and how did you fall in love with photography?
At the age of 14, I bought my first DSLR camera. From the moment I took it out of the box, I couldn’t put it down. I had always been artistic but there was something about photography that really resonated with me. My younger sister became my subject (or victim as she puts it). I took photos of her every chance I had whether that be in a snowstorm, middle of a forest, or around our home. She’s really the reason why I became so interested in fashion and portrait photography.
How would you define your photography style?
I would define my photography style as being feminine and clean.
What was your most memorable photoshoot or photograph?
My most memorable photoshoot was probably back in my younger days of photography. I wanted my sister to look like an angel. I had her climb a very tall lookout stand in our backyard in a vintage wedding gown I had purchased. We spent about two hours trying to get the perfect shot. It turned out exactly how I pictured it at the time. It was at that point that I realized photography was my favourite medium.
Which piece of gear (lens, tripod etc.) is your favourite?
My favourite piece of gear is my 50mm 1.2 lens. I’ve shot the majority of my portfolio on it and I just love how sharp it is!
What’s your next photography purchase?
My next photography purchase will likely be either the 85mm 1.2 or the 24-70 2.8 lens.
What workshops/courses is your favourite to teach and why?
My favourite course to teach is Studio Lighting. It’s amazing to see photographers take their first studio lit portrait and teach them how to light!
Just so we can find out a bit more about the person behind the lens, could you tell us…
- Who is your favourite fashion photographer? My favourite photographers are Mario Testino and of course, Annie Leibovitz.
- Where’s your dream vacation destination? I would love to go to Portugal.
- What’s your favourite Movie? My favourite movie is currently La La Land. The storyline and visuals are so inspiring and yet relatable at the same time.
- What would you do if you won the lottery?If I won the lottery, I would give back to my family as much as possible. My family is really the reason why I decided to pursue photography in the first place. They were very supportive of my dream and I owe so much to them.
- What did you get for your last birthday? For my last birthday I got some gift certificates to my favourite restaurants.