We tend to get a lot of questions on camera suggestions and what exactly is required for the courses.
PHOTO 101 REQUIREMENTS: Digital SLR / Film SLR / or any camera that will allow you to shoot in manual mode (“M”).
MORE ADVANCED CLASSES: Digital SLR is required.
DSLR (“Digital Single Lens Reflex”) – key features :
- They allow you to interchange lenses for different purposes (longer zooms, macro photography, etc) These lenses are also much higher quality and will produce sharper images.
- They have a larger image sensor and therefore produce higher quality images.
- Allow you creative control. You can change settings such as aperture / shutter speed to create a desired effect. Things like; blurring backgrounds or freezing action become possible! But this is why you take the course, to learn these techniques and how you can use the settings in these cameras to get a desired effect!
Examples of some good DSLR starter cameras:
Canon (Rebel T2, T3 or T4)
Nikon (D3100, D5100, D90)
TIPS when purchasing an SLR camera
- First and foremost, get an understanding of what you will be using it for. Are you planning on taking a lot of pictures of your new born baby? Or are you planning on starting a career in wedding photography? You have to understand what you want from your camera before you can pick the right one.
- Do your homework: understand the key features before you approach the aggressive salesman.
- A great website to go and read about camera reviews and to do comparisons:
TIPS to save some bucks:
- Look for a discontinued model. Camera stores will heavily discount models that are being replaced in the near future. If you hear that they are coming out with a new Canon Rebel XTxx for example, take a look at the old models; they are likely discounted.
- In my opinion, this is the best time to buy a camera. I have bought cameras below suppliers cost because they were heavily focused on getting rid of them.
- Don’t be fooled by more megapixels! You are fine with 8! You don’t need 24!!! If you are comparing 2 models and the main difference is 2 extra megapixels! Not required, buy yourself a better lens instead, much more bang for your buck!
- Once you have settled on the model – call around a few different stores for the best price. Most of them will price match. Stores to consider: Downtown Camera, Henry’s, Black’s, Vistek, Best Buy
Good luck on your purchase!! It is a great investment and the skills you learn will last a life time.